Saturday, March 12, 2011

Pulling it together

The joy of blogging is its randomness and variety, and I hope that this blog is no exception. But since the number of posts I’ve done is now up in the hundreds, embracing structures from post boxes to cathedrals and buildings from the Dark Ages to World War II, I thought it might be interesting to organize some of them in a different way. So I have hatched a plan: to write a series of short introductory pages to different periods of English architecture, illustrated with links to relevant posts from this blog.

The first of these currently covers buildings of the Saxon and Norman periods – from the centuries leading up to the year 1200 – and you can access it from here and from a link in the PAGES section over in the right-hand column. As you read it, you will ifnd links to buildings from this era included in past posts.

In a week or two I’ll add to this page, extending the text and links to cover the rest of the medieval period up to around 1500. If this works, I’ll later add further pages on the Tudor, Stuart, and Georgian periods, and so on. I hope what emerges is interesting, and a worthwhile way of linking together some of the posts. Meanwhile, the day-to-day randomness continues.

5 comments:

columnist said...

Brilliant. I shall enjoy it enormously, I'm sure.

Terry said...

Ditto "columnist." Thank so much for your hard work and keen eye.

Philip Wilkinson said...

Thank you both.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a full time job to me. Categorizing hundreds of posts, wow!

Looking forward to it.
I've been reading your blog for about a year now, and find it interestinger and interestinger!
Keep 'em comin', as we say here.

James Morgan
Olympia WA USA

Philip Wilkinson said...

James: Well, I'll start by categorizing a few posts - on buildings that are 'good examples' of their period, and see where it goes. And there will be some more interesting stuff soon!