Thursday, January 14, 2016

Hercules Road, London


The heart and the honeysuckle

Growing up in Cheltenham, I was fascinated early on by the variety of the ornamental ironwork patterns in the town. Leaves, stylised flowers, scrolls, Greek key patterns and all kinds of designs in ironwork trail their way across balcony fronts all over the parts of the town, delightful details dating from its Regency heyday. One of the most common and distinctive is a combination of hearts and the classical anthemion or honeysuckle motif, usually in pairs and usually on their sides. Ironwork of this pattern was made by the Scottish Carron ironworks in the 1820s and sold to builders by a local supplier called Wheeler.

I identify this design so strongly with Cheltenham (and with reason – there really are quite a lot of examples) that it’s a shock when I come across it elsewhere. But hearts and honeysuckles could travel from Scotland as easily to other towns as to Cheltenham, so they do pop up here and there. Here’s one I spotted the other day in North Lambeth on my way to meet up with a friend in London.  As in many of the Cheltonian examples, the structure it adorns isn’t a full-scale balcony – it’s too narrow to step out onto, though it could support a window box full of flowers. But its main purpose is stop you falling out when you open the generous floor-to-ceiling window: an elegant solution to a 19th-century health and safety problem. A world away from the lumps of concrete (or indeed lengths of coloured tape) with which we solve similar problems today. Autre temps, autre moeurs…


5 comments:

Hels said...

The mini-balcony was certainly big enough and attractive enough to support a window box full of flowers. Which must have been quite innovative! Normally if flowers were not in the ground, they were hung in pots with the chains being placed on either side of the front door or front windows.

Anonymous said...

These remind me of "Juliet balconies" ... I wonder what inspired them? No practical purpose except to safely let in more light to the room ...

Christopher Bellew said...

Your post has made me look more carefully around me and I notice in Edwardes Square, Kensington, that most of the balconies have a Greek key pattern design but that the fan lights above the front doors vary.
I have a "Juliet balcony" in an attic conversion. I chose it as Anonymous says to let in more light but also because the glass is easier to clean. Unfortunately my ironwork is prosaic.
Christopher
www.christopherbellew.com

Philip Wilkinson said...

Thank you all for these comments. There are quite a few hanging baskets on chains here in my street in the Cotswolds. Not on my house, though - just jasmine around the door here!

Thud said...

when I first started restoring houses in Liverpool until somebody put me onto a very messy rundown foundry in knowsley.It was a revelation, over 35 years(18 years ago now)the chaps there had collected metal work from every demolished building in Liverpool, what a find! They have just cast some gothic stub railings for me recently and continue to do good work including Liver bird benches commemorating Hillsborough.